Saturday, March 16, 2013


I  would not consider myself to have a “millennial learning style”.  While I can multi-task, it is not my favorite thing to do.  I do multi-task quite a bit at work.  I don’t have much of a choice.  I take care of the facilities for our three classrooms.  I am constantly interrupted at the front desk I sit at.  However, I cannot play music, and be in a chat room while doing my homework.  I require solitude and quiet.  “These skills are almost totally foreign to the Immigrants, who themselves learned – and so choose to teach – slowly, step-by-step, one thing at a time, individually, and above all, seriously.”  M. Prensky, 2001. 

I would say that I use technology freely.  I recently transitioned from Microsoft Office 2007 to 2010 at work (of course, now Office 2013 is here already).  Other than a few hiccups, I really had no problems transitioning to the new system.  It is annoying when Microsoft moves things on the ribbon, such as how to set up your out of office.   Although, I know the intent of Microsoft is to make the software easier for quick moving natives and slower moving immigrants, like me.  “Digital natives are used to receiving information really fast.” M. Prensky, 2001.  I do use technology with ease most of the time.  However, I have struggled with Adobe products over the years.  But, I can see that they are starting to make their software more user-friendly to help all of us immigrants.  Just a few years ago, I had such a hard time working with Adobe Photoshop that I basically gave up on it.  Last weekend, I was able to learn some new tricks in Adobe Photoshop, with ease and help from the help screens.  I also think that Adobe has had to step up its game in the user-friendly area due to other companies competing with easy to use software such as Articulate. 

I don’t begrudge any technology.  I love to learn new software and technology.  I guess I am a little bit of a geek that way.  That’s okay, it is something I enjoy.  My love to learn new software and technology is what drove me to major in Instructional Design and Technology.  I was thinking about going with Graphic Design, but I think this major will give me the best of both worlds - graphic design and instructional design.  I will use Adobe Creative Suite 6 as an example.  I have not had a lot of experience with Adobe products, but this new software looks innovative and fun.  I am excited about learning how to use it. 

The most obvious effect that technology has had on the way I learn is the internet.  Without the internet, I am not sure I would have ever gone back to college.  The web has given me back my power and now I can study online and take classes in six weeks, instead of in three months.  I can still remember using a typewriter or word processor to complete my homework in college.  In high school, my homework was mostly hand written.  The computer age has had a profound impact on me this way.  I can type pretty fast and I have always been fairly accurate.  So my computer has helped me type up my homework versus hand writing it.  This is an enormous relief to me, since I only print and do not write in cursive.  So now, I am able to complete assignments faster and more accurately.  This has assisted me and given me a new confidence in my educational experience.  And, this will also help me become a successful instructional designer.  “So if Digital Immigrants education really want to reach Digital Natives – i.e. all their students – they will have to change.”  M. Prensky, 2001.  There is no point in avoiding changes in technology, so I will choose to embrace it. 

References:

Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants. On the Horizon, 9(5).

No comments:

Post a Comment